Vegan Taco Sausage
This recipe makes a beautiful seitan sausage that is packed with protein and fiber. This mixes our previously published Taco Seasoning recipe (which we used in our TVP Tacos) into a fairly basic seitan dough. Sausages are formed, rolled in tin foil, and steamed. These are great on their own, over rice, chopped up and used in tacos, or even on buns smothered in fresh guacamole and pico de gallo.
(Makes 4 Sausages)
- 1 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup white beans
- 1 tbsp Braggs liquid aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 cup water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked salt
- Pinch cayenne (if you like spice)
- Prepare your steamer basket over boiling water.
- Mash your beans in a large bowl using a potato masher or fork.
- Add vegetable broth, soy sauce, and liquid smoke, and all the spices until mixed well.
- Mix in nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, and vital wheat gluten until a dough forms.
- Knead dough for a minute or two until you start to see strands of gluten forming.
- Cut your dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a sausage.
- Roll each sausage in aluminum foil and twist ends to seal. Make sure sausage is completely enclosed.
- Steam for 40 minutes.