You have no items in your shopping cart.
This vegan chili recipe is wonderful on a cold winter night. A wonderful lunch or main course that tastes lovely with cornbread. Leftovers taste even better the next day, and are great on chili cheese dogs or nachos!
- 1 cup Textured Soy Protein (TSP organic)
- 1 cup warm water or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce/tamari if not using broth
- 1 cup onion medium, chopped (1/4set aside for topping)
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 15oz can kidney beans organic, undrained
- 1 15oz can black beans organic, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes organic, fire roasted
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce organic
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp paprika smoked if you have it
- 1 tbsp Smoked Kosher Salt (plus extra for seasoning to taste, or regular kosher salt)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa or Cacao Powder
- cayenne Ground Red Pepper, Ground Jalapeno Pepper, Ground Chipotle Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro and dried chives each (or fresh, optional)
- Heat your water/soy sauce or broth in the microwave for about a minute and a half.
- Stir to dissolve and dump in the 1 cup of TSP.
- Set aside so it can soften up and soak in all the liquid.
- Grab a medium pot and sauté your onion in a little bit of water.
- When it starts to get translucent, add your garlic and 1/2 tsp. smoked salt. If this gets too dry, add some more water.
- Add your favorite hot sauce, plus all of your spices, minus the salt to taste.
- Stir well, allow the flavors to blend a bit with the onion and garlic then add your tomatoes, tomato sauce, and then salt to taste.
- I like to add around 6 grinds of the salt grinder, because we still have beans and TSP to add.
- Add your undrained can of beans and mix well. Then add your rinsed and drained beans. I typically use black beans and kidney beans but any beans you have in the house or prefer will work.
- Stir everything well.
- At this point, your TSP should be fully rehydrated. Dump that into the pot, stir well again. Taste for salt.
- Add optional cilantro and chives, if using.
- Allow this to simmer on the stove while you make your cornbread.