This teriyaki comes together quite easily, and is much cheaper and healthier than bottled versions. Most, if not all of the ingredients are ones that are on hand in most kitchens, and substitutions are easy to make with whatever you do have on hand. There is no added refined sugar or fat, and it is only sweetened with pineapple juice and maple syrup. Pineapple juice can be replaced with orange juice, and molasses can stand in for the maple syrup in a pinch.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce shoyu, or gluten free tamari
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ginger dried or fresh
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix soy sauce, water, cornstarch, pinch of ginger, minced garlic, pineapple juice, and maple syrup.
- Bring to boil whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to thicken, mixing occasionally.