Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins (Gluten Free)
These muffins are the perfect mix of banana and chocolate - with the surprise of a peanut butter center! Sweetened only with applesauce and dates, these are a treat you don't have to feel guilty about enjoying. Just be sure that your peanut butter has only one ingredient (peanut butter) and no added oils or sugars. Feel free to use regular wheat flour if you do not prefer or require a gluten free muffin. Finally, if you choose to add chocolate chips but still wish to keep these as healthy as possible, look for stevia sweetened or grain sweetened chips.
- 2 medium very over-ripe bananas
- 6 extra large dates (or 8 large/medium large Medjool) pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- ¼cup cacao powder or carob if you prefer
- tsp ½salt
- tsp ¾baking soda
- ¼cup natural peanut butter
- cup ¼vegan chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or spray with cooking spray. You can also use a silicone pan.
- Blend bananas, dates, applesauce, and vanilla extract in your bullet blender, blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- In separate bowl, mix together gluten free flour blend, cacao, salt, and baking soda.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Stir until combined. If using chocolate chips, fold into batter.
- Spoon evenly into muffin tin. Drop small teaspoons of peanut butter into the center of each muffin and push down into muffin. Bake for 25-28 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.