Cashew Potato Carrot Nacho Cheese Sauce
This sauce is healthy, easy, and versatile. I like to use this on nachos, cheese fries, and chili. The possibilities truly are endless. If you'd like more of a cheddar cheese sauce minus the nacho, simply leave out the salsa and add a splash of lemon juice. This recipe calls for water and works best if you reserve the water you boiled your potato, carrot, garlic, and onion in.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup potato
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3/4 cup water from the pot
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup plant milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Roughly chop your carrot, potato, and onion, and add to a medium saucepan along with a clove of garlic and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for approximately 5 minutes or until everything is soft and can be pierced through with a fork.
- Pour off 3/4 cup of the pot water and set aside. Drain the rest of the water.
- Add cashews, plant milk, nutritional yeast, paprika, miso paste, tapioca starch, and salt to your blender. Dump in potato, carrot, onion and garlic. Blend until smooth. Add salsa, if using, and blend again until smooth.
- At this point, you can use your cheese as a sauce for nachos, etc., but if you prefer, you can thicken the sauce. Pour cheese sauce back into your saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Allow to thicken and boil 2-3 minutes, or until it reaches your desired consistency.