Healthyhacks

Warning: Toxic Holiday Plant For Our Pets

Warning: Toxic Holiday Plant For Our Pets

Authored By Emily
Ho ho ho, the festivities are finally with us. And with it comes the merry of decorations and the one-time plants are part of the interior! What can I say, traditions are traditions. However, what if I told you that this decision could prove toxic to your dear ones. Not your kids, your other dear ones, pets! For old pet owners, you are probably in the know about this, but for new ones, this information is crucial. Some of these holiday plants we are quick to incorporate into our decorations can be catastrophic (yes, that was a cat pun!).

Lilies

If you are a cat person and love lilies, prepare to have your heart broken, I'm sorry in advance. Cats are susceptible to lilies due to the toxins in them; this also applies to lily bulbs. Be sure to know the plants you have in your home, lilies come in different colors as well. A small bite from this plant can lead to kidney failure in cats! If you see your cat having any of the following symptoms, rush him to the vet; loss of appetite (most cats are Garfield), vomiting, depression, and diarrhea.

Holly

This famous decorative berry is most likely to be found in everyone's homes as a centerpiece or a mere hanging. Unfortunately, in this case, this plant is considered poisonous to our pets. The toxins in this berry, once ingest by any pet can be fatal, if not treated immediately. Some of the signs to look out for include; excessive drooling, decreased energy, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

Mistletoe

Ah! The plant of the season, and one we die to be under as we cross the New Year! This is one you will most likely find in every homestead. However, if you have pets, be sure to be very strategic with where you hang it out. This particular plant is toxic for both cats and dogs, whether in berry form or dried out. Ingestion of this may result in poisoning of the pet if not attended to immediately. Signs of this sort of poisoning include; change in mental function, difficulty in breathing, seizures, a drop in blood pressure and worst case scenario, death. To make things easier, just don’t hang it up.

Actual Christmas trees

This one just sucks! Trees such as Australian, Norfolk Island pine and fir trees have been known to cause stomach troubles, irritation, vomiting and drooling to cats specifically. In this case, it's not just the toxins to look out for. The needle sharp spikes can cause your pet a lot of agonies if swallowed.

Poinsettia

This is not disastrous, buts it’s no picnic either! This plant has been known to cause vomiting and oral irritation when ingested by cats. This is not one to worry about as many people don't have this in their homes. But if you do, be warned. Better safe than sorry, right?

Amaryllis

This beautiful bulbous flower can cause harm to both dogs and cats if ingested, leading to abdominal pains, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.


(0) Items
Items 0
Subtotal $0.00
To Top