You have no items in your shopping cart.
The Best Brainfoods
The human brain is a very important organ in our bodies as it coordinates and helps to perform various sensational, nervous and intellectual activities. It is a delicate organ that needs utmost care because a slight injury can cause part or whole of the body not to function well. One of the ways that we can take care of the brain is providing sufficient nutrients through our food choices. Our dietary intake is necessary as it helps improve the emotional and mental wellbeing, stabilize moods and improve on focus. The foods we eat should be healthy foods and not processed or fried foods so as to receive sufficient nutrients that will also benefit the body such as foods rich in omega 3, fatty acids, magnesium, vitamins, and minerals. The brain works even when we are asleep hence it will need to be nourished at all times so as to perform various activities. As a vegan, you can also eat foods that provide all nutrients so that you can nourish your brain. Various foods contain different types of nutrients hence they can help you focus better, improve your work performance and how you respond emotionally to different situations in life. Some of the foods that a vegan can eat that are good for the brain include:
- Walnuts and flax - these two foods are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, and they help develop the gray matter in the brain which is responsible for cognitive function. Omega 3 also helps the brain translate information from the eyes into an image. The essential fatty acids boost the memory and improve your ability to learn new things.
- Foods rich in Vitamin B-6 such as chicken peas will help the brain neurotransmitters in the nerve cells to communicate with other neighboring cells hence reduce the chances of getting depressed. They boost the serotonin level that controls sleep, depression, memory and other neurological processes.
- Foods rich in vitamin D help in brain cell development and support brain cell function. Low levels of vitamin d in the brain will cause one to develop dementia.
- Foods rich in Vitamin C and Beta Carotene such as tomatoes, mangoes, oranges, carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe, green leafy vegetables are good as they improve your memory and reasoning power, and they keep the brain arteries functioning well. These foods also have the ability to increase mental alertness and protect the brain from age-related degeneration diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia. The natural sugars in the fruits keep the brain alert.
- Foods rich in Vitamin E such as avocados, spinach are best for the circulatory system hence increase the blood flow to the brain. The nutrients in spinach prevent damage of the brain cells, development of cancer cell growth and tumor growth. Spinach can be taken in smoothies, salads, and soups.
- Berries are good for the brain as they reduce or reverse the loss of memory, hence they are best for improving memory and keeping the brain young. They also help in improving the balance and coordination function of the brain. Berries are antioxidants so they will protect the brain cells from free radical damage, prevent diseases, slow brain aging and promote healthy brain cells. Eating a handful of berries each day or mixing them in your cereals will help you reap the full benefits.
- Whole grains provide much energy to the brain so that it can enable you to focus and concentrate. When you eat whole grains such as cereals, rice, bread, and pasta, they release glucose into the blood which flows to the brain hence keeping you alert throughout the day. Oats are gluten free, and they help reduce stress, improve your metabolism and mood. Oats have much fiber content in them hence reduce the sugar levels in the blood. They can be eaten during breakfast, and you can add cashew or almond nuts, berries, chia seeds or coconut yogurt for a delicious dairy free meal.
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds contain zinc which is essential for enhancing the thinking and memory skills. They also contain a mix of vitamins, proteins, fatty acids and tryptophan which the brain converts to serotonin so as to boost the mood and reduce depression.
- Sweet potatoes are good complex carbohydrates that contain L-tryptophan that is related to the reduction of anxiety and depression. They also contain a high content of Vitamin B6 which is a natural anti-depressant and also potassium and magnesium which helps reduce stress and high blood pressure.
- Rosemary is a detoxifier, and when eaten as part of food or even used in humidifiers, it improves the blood flow to the brain and raises the mood. It acts as an antioxidant; hence it will help fight diseases such as cancer and the aging process of the skin.
- Herbs are also useful for the body and the brain to as they contain antioxidants which fight off the free radicals and reduce inflammation. Herbs contain many nutrients such as vitamin A, B, C, magnesium and fiber which help the brain function well.
- Broccoli is a healthy vegetable for the brain as it contains Vitamin B6, protein, and calcium which promote a happy mood and make you relaxed. It reduces the anxiety levels and reduces insomnia.
- Dark chocolate contains flavanols that help improve the brain blood vessel function, hence they improve the memory and cognitive function.